Monday, March 24, 2008

Is “Going Green” the “New Black”…


Seems as though every person you meet, every business, every T.V. show/add, new product, etc., is all about the environment and being "more green" these days. I, personally think it's about time! I've always tried to do my share, but there is so much more that I could be doing. I was so excited when I went to the grocery store a few months ago {Bi-Lo, by the way} and they were selling their own cloth grocery bags. But the really cool thing about them {besides only being $1 each} is that every time you use them you get a 5 cent bonus for each bag. I bought 5 of them, so every time I go grocery shopping, I get a 25 cent bonus. Of course, 25 cents isn't that much, but I figure I'm saving a lot more than money by using them. When I got my mailing from "World Wildlife Fund", there was a simple checklist enclosed. I taped it to my computer and try to at least pay attention to these 10 things:


And now "World Wildlife Fund" is encouraging "Earth Hour" this coming Saturday. It started with a question: How can we inspire people to take action on climate change? The answer: Ask the people of Sydney to turn off their lights for one hour.
On 31 March 2007, 2.2 million people and 2100 Sydney businesses turned off their lights for one hour - Earth Hour.

With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off, and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice. Inspired by the collective effort of millions of Sydneysiders, many major global cities are joining Earth Hour in 2008, turning a symbolic event into a global movement. Earth Hour, run by World Wildlife Fund, the conservation organization, is a global climate change initiative which calls on individuals and businesses around the world, to turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday March 29 2008 between 8 pm and 9pm.
The aim of the campaign is to express that individual action on a mass scale can help change our planet for the better.
The event itself will clearly demonstrate in participating cities, the connection between energy usage and climate change, showing that we as broader community can address the biggest threat our planet has ever faced. I encourage you to participate by clicking the banner below and signing up:


You'll be glad you did! Now, if I can only stop wasting food! That's my biggest wasteful thing. I always have good intentions when I buy all those apples & bananas and I even love how wonderful they taste, when I do actually eat them. But eating them "all" is my problem. This is the one thing I am going to work on, besides the 10 things on the list. That and taking more walks! Happy Monday!!!

Xxoo & peace always ~ Kathy

I know I've shared this quote before, but I thought it worthy of sharing yet again, especially with this post:

"I think that I shall never see a billboard lovely as a tree. Indeed, unless the billboards fall I'll never see a tree at all." – Ogden Nash

2 comments:

  1. Oooo - I like this idea...I'm stealing it! :) Cheers lady....BLACKOUT March 29th.&...V-DAY BATON ROUGE among other things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good - Steal it and pass it on :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments ~ ♥